Monday, March 13, 2017

Hariyama-san, Center of the World, volume 2: Interlude 1: Imposter

short update this time. the next story is pretty long and will probably take a bit. o/

Hariyama-san, Center of the World 2
Interlude 1: Imposter



I'm, not, like that.

Did I mean to kill her? No, not at, all.

It's just, you know. Well, that girl was cheeky, so, yeah. To begin with, an elementary-schooler taking a taxi alone, is cheeky, in itself.

So, I couldn't, help it. I, had to teach, a lesson to, that customer, the damn cheeky little pussycat girl.

No, that's not, it. It doesn't, have anything to do, with her being a girl.

No. ...No.

I'm, not like, those lolicon perverts. I'm not, a pedophile. I'm, not like that.

I, didn't mean, to. Not at all.

From now on. Up till now. Not at all. No.

I'm, not like that, I'm not like that. I didn't mean to. I didn't, mean to, do anything to her, but I was just so, so, annoyed, yeah, yeah, she was just a kid, she was just a kid but she was taking a taxi she was just a kid but she was so damn polite it pissed me off she didn't act like a kid and I thought we couldn't have that so I punished her by squeezing her neck a little and tried to kill her.

Yes. I only tried to kill her, I didn't mean to kill her.

Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy.

Ahh, I'm so sleepy, so why, can't I, lie down?

All I wanted was to be a taxi driver. But, getting a class two license, was too hard, and I couldn't do it.

Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. I'm, so, sleepy.

And so. So, so, so, dammit. I had to do it.

How much, money, do you think it took, to make, that fake taxi? It was, going so well, until that damn cheeky brat, spoiled everything.

Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. What's happening dammit dammit dammit I'm so sleepy but I can't sleep it's been so long so long so many months why, how long, has it been?

Sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy.

That brat, the bitch with the knapsack, she, noticed that I, i, I, i, I, i was driving a fake taxi, so I had, to do something.

She was, cheeky.

I, killed her.

I killed her, and I, put her in the ground.

Then how, did that brat, manage manage manage sleepy manage to ride ride ryde rid ried ryed my my my my sleepy my taxi my taxi again sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy sleepy how can I, shake off this sleepiness? I've been worrying, and suffering, for a long time.

Even though, that brat died, she rode my taxi, and killed me, me.

She did… she, did. Sleepy. I'm. I'm sleepy.

I'm sleepy, but, it's over.

I've been trapped by her, ever since then, the whole time.

That brat, disappeared somewhere, with a weird taxi.

Disappeared, disappeared.

...back. She hasn't, come back.

……

……

I've… shaken off a bit of my sleepiness, sir.

Just… a little bit, though.


You're not answering. ...Can you not hear me? Well, I suppose you've bled out too much. Isn't it about time that you stopped being able to see, too?

But it's all right. I can tell you that from experience.

Once you're completely dead, you'll be able to hear me again.

Well, it won't be for long, since I'll consume you immediately.

But, well, please listen, even if you can't hear me.

That brat disappeared somewhere and left me free for the first time since I died.

I didn't believe in ghosts, but now that I've become one, I'm happy. It doesn't seem like there's an afterlife either, so that makes me even happier.

Because if Heaven or Hell existed, I'd definitely be going to Hell.

Ahh, ahhhh, I want to wake up even more. Anyway, now that I've ended up like this… I don't know how to sleep.

So all I can do is shake off this sleepiness. And you'll be the one to help me with that, sir.

When I strangled that girl to death… well, how do I say this, my eyes were opened and my heart was pounding… up until then, I'd never thought so clearly in my life, as if all the world was laid out before me.

And so, uh… I thought perhaps I would wake up like that again if I killed you, sir. And then I'd forcibly suppress your soul, which won't even know the basics of being a ghost, and feed it into my own power. Like that brat did to me.

...Whoops, speaking of which, there's no way you would know who "that brat" is, huh?

It looks like I'm still half-asleep. Excuse me, sir. Well, you'll come to understand all of that later…

You're still not dead? You're quite stubborn.

...Oh, your breathing started slowing the moment I spoke.

Oh, don't worry about the fare.

I was still half-asleep when I said it before, but…

I'm not really a taxi driver or anything.



But, well, you may not believe me, but I'm feeling great right now.

I thought there was no way ghosts could exist, but I turned out like this. My my, the world is really not that bad… now I can believe in aliens or yetis or Nessie. I even feel like no completely imaginary thing exists in this world.

...Ah, but, but, sir.

They're not possible. I cannot believe in them.

The people that appear in Hollywood movies and the like, or in Japan's tokusatsu series… you know, those guys. Heroes of justice. The ones who transform and fight against bad guys.

That's the only thing I can't believe in. You agree, don't you, sir?

If heroes of justice really did exist --

They would've come to save the little girl I killed before, and you now.

Well well, or perhaps those people are completely dedicated to fighting against evil organizations and don't have the free time to save nobodies like you or that little girl. In that case, it's laughable, isn't it? Maybe they're defending world peace, but to the people actually who die, they're more unreliable than the police.

If you think about it, there's probably a reason for evil organizations to do meaningless things like poison dams and hijack preschool buses. While the heroes are occupied with those stupid farces, you're left here to die.

To tell the truth, pure good or pure evil are probably even less real than things like ghosts or aliens. What do you think, sir?

...Oh, your pupils are dilating. It's about time, then.

That's how that little girl looked when she died too. Haha.

Oh, that's right.

Would you like a receipt, sir?
Continue to "The Scarlet Death of Cross Kashiwagi"

5 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot.
    You're doing god's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for this, I'm so glad you're working on Hariyama-san.

    If you don't mind, I have a question - does Narita ever clarify in the afterwords of Hariyama-san what universe it's set in?

    See, the JP Narita wiki and JP Wikipedia both say that Narita's said that it's not in the Naritaverse, and I'm inclined to believe them, but they don't provide the source for that statement.

    Meanwhile, English Wikipedia and TvTropes both claim that it _is_ (without sources). I am less inclined to believe them. There's no indication that it's in the Naritaverse.

    But I'm troubled that I can't find a source on Narita's statement. So do you know if any of the afterwords mention it at all? If it's no bother.

    - Rev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hm, admittedly I haven't gone through everything in detail, but I've never seen anything that supports them being in the same universe. I was also under the impression that they were different universes, but I don't have a source for that, sorry!

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for your translation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is DARK, for Narita. I mean the previous story was dark but the insight into the killer is so striking and compelling. I think you also did a great job translating the messy thoughts and misspellings, that's really well done. I'm glad I'm reading this on the bus in the day

    ReplyDelete